Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve is seeking qualified
candidates for a permanent, full-time ecologist position.  I'm trying to
get the word out to anyone who might be interested.

Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve consist of six physically
separate sites and a park headquarters located in southeastern
Louisiana.  The Barataria Preserve south of Marrero preserves and interprets
the natural and cultural history of a representative example of
the Mississippi River delta region: bottomland hardwood forests, swamps, and
marshes.  Three sites in Lafayette, Thibodaux and Eunice interpret the
Acadian culture of the area.  Six miles southeast of New Orleans is the
Chalmette Battlefield and National Cemetery, site of the 1815 Battle of New
Orleans, and final resting place for soldiers from the Civil War,
Spanish-American War, World Wars I and II, and Vietnam.  Park headquarters
and the French Quarter visitor center are located in downtown New Orleans.

The position is a part of the developing natural resource management program
at the park, which is focused on the Barataria Preserve,
approximately 30 minutes, and a world away, from downtown New Orleans.  The
23,000 acre Preserve is the only unit of the park managed as a natural
area, and it protects a significant portion of the Barataria Estuary, one of
the most productive, and threatened, estuarine wetlands in North
America.  It contains part of an abandoned delta of the Mississippi River
and associated ecological zones, including natural levee hardwood forest,
baldcypress/tupelo swamp, and fresh to slightly saline (intermediate) marsh.
The marshes of the Preserve anchor the eastern end of one of only
four large floating marsh systems in the world, and are the only estuarine
floating marshes in the National Park System. The Preserve also contains
hundreds of prehistoric and historic archeological sites.  Currently, the
natural resource management program is actively engaged in large-scale
habitat restoration projects, exotic plant and animal management, and
research.  In the future, we anticipate that the program will place
additional emphasis on fire and wildlife management.

See the links below for the merit promotion (JELA1008-356496) and all
sources announcements (GUISDEU1021-358953).  The application deadline is
July 9, 2010.  If you have questions regarding the position, let me know.

All Sources:
http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx?JobID=88948509&JobTitle=Ecologist&q=G
UISDEU1021-358953&where=&brd=3876&vw=b&FedEmp=N&FedPub=Y&AVSDM=2010-06-25+00
%3a03%3a00

Merit Promotion (Government-wide):
http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx?JobID=88767392&JobTitle=ECOLOGIST&q=J
ELA1008-356496&sort=rv%2c-dtex&cn=&rad_units=miles&brd=3876&pp=50&vw=b&re=13
4&FedEmp=Y&FedPub=Y&caller=advanced.aspx&AVSDM=2010-06-25+00%3a03%3a00

For more information, contact:

Haigler "Dusty" Pate
Natural Resource Program Manager
National Park Service
Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve
419 Decatur St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
504 589-3882, x119
504 382-4937 cell