From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ecolo...@listserv.umd.edu] On Behalf Of Dr. Erika Iyengar
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2010 1:54 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] help--waterproofing hip boots

Hello!  I am hoping someone can recommend a way to waterproof leaking hip
boots.

I bought a number of pairs of crushed neoprene Proline hip boots for stream
work for my classes.  After two years of infrequent use (and good storage),
the crushed neoprene is leaking.  It is not the result of cracked seams or
holes--all of the boots are leaking from everywhere the crushed neoprene
exists.  I have tried to use regular hiking boot waterproofing spray, but
it was useless.  Anyone else have a suggestion?  I can't bring myself to
throw out 12 pairs of (expensive) boots, but if they leak, they are
useless.  (Funny, my student object to using leaky boots in February in
Pennsylvania streams.  I don't know why. . .).

I also wanted to give others a heads up about these boots--I would not
recommend them to anyone.  Here, the cheaper boots would have been better
(and are what I now have).  I called Forestry Suppliers about them, but the
warranty is one year, and they had no suggestions for ways to fix the
problem.  They said it sounded like faulty crushing of the neoprene--but
that does me no good.  So much for "deluxe, insulated, with thinsulate."

Thanks for any suggestions,

Erika Iyengar
iyen...@muhlenberg.edu
Biology Dept, Muhlenberg College