Honorable Forum:

I'm going to suggest "hyperculture" as an umbrella-term for the phenomenon--the
failure of success--that Craft describes.* It all got started around ten or
twelve thousand years ago when cultivation and manipulation got started, long
before Nature fired the potato-famine shot across culture's bow and it was
ignored. We were hooked, and hooked by our own "intelligence." The mess of
potage we have left Craft's generation is a direct result of the chain of
events that started with our defying evolution. In avoiding famine, we may have
magnified the rebound effects. I hope not, I hope I am wrong, and that we can
find a way to beat the rap. That is the essence of the project I call
"Advancing Toward Eden." The other project is "Culture Against Society," which
necessitates drawing the crucial distinction, despite the hue and cry that
vagueness rules.

Good luck, Jonathan.

WT

*I am not the first to use this term, but it appears to be absent from on-line
dictionaries. It has been defined as "the massive rate of change in modern
technological societies" by others
(http://www.markville.ss.yrdsb.edu.on.ca/history/society/technologyandchange.pdf),
 but I'm going to define it as something more fundamental, and, of course, I am
in the process of attempting to distinguish "societies" from "cultures," a
distinction I believe to be CRUCIAL to our coming to terms with the very
question under discussion, humans--cultural humans, I contend--and ecosystems.
This is part of a life-work that began when, as a fifteen year-old adolescent,
something inside decided that for me it would be "to reconcile the needs and
works of humankind with those of the earth and its life." The more than
half-century that I have devoted to that question is littered with error,
misunderstanding, and re-learning through the questioning of assumptions
(beginning with my own, but not to the neglect of established precepts of the
authorities). Jonathan has a good running start, and as long as he resists the
temptation to sell his soul to the devil, he may be an example of my hope that
the trend will turn in the direction he, too, seems to yearn for. Getting the
details right is the place to work, but getting them wrong and having another
go at them is not disgrace, it is grace personified. Only the egocentric so
fear being wrong that they will kill to cover their ongoing error. Y'all are
free, nay, I hope you will, refine the definition.