I am seeking a motivated student to fill a graduate assistantship at the
M.S. or Ph.D. level in the Marine Biology Program at Texas A&M University-
Corpus Christi (http://marinebiology.tamucc.edu/).  The position is
available beginning in either late August, 2010, or January 1, 2011.  The
research project will focus on the role of top-down (i.e., grazing) vs.
bottom-up (i.e., light, nutrients) environmental factors in determining
estuarine phytoplankton bloom potentials and community composition.  My
lab conducts research on estuarine/coastal phytoplankton ecology, nutrient
& organic matter cycling in the coastal zone, food-web dynamics, and
impacts of anthropogenic & climate change on coastal ecosystems.  TAMU-CC
is affiliated with the Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies
(http://harteresearchinstitute.org/), which is where our research labs are
located.  This study will require the student to spend some time during
spring and summer of the next few years at a field station in Morehead
City, NC.  I would also envision a spin-off of this work to develop in
coastal Texas waters.

Candidates should have a background in ecology or marine science and
should possess strong quantitative skills.  The assistantship will be
grant-supported and has an excellent stipend relative to the cost-of-
living.  Cost-of-living in Corpus Christi, Texas, is inexpensive and ample
opportunities exist for cultural/artistic and outdoor activities.  San
Antonio is approximately 2 hours to the northwest, Austin 3 hours to the
northwest, and Houston 3 hours to the northeast.

Interested candidates should email me, Dr. Mike Wetz at mw...@fsu.edu, by
July 24th, 2010. Please include a letter of interest, C.V., unofficial
transcripts and GRE scores.