Oggetto:        Re: [ECOLOG-L] Humans in the definition of ecosystems
Data:   Thu, 8 Jul 2010 14:08:19 -0700
Mittente:       Wayne Tyson <landr...@cox.net>
A: Gianluca Polgar <gianluca.pol...@gmail.com>, <ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU>

Ecolog:

Certainly Polgar's remarks have a ring of truth, and they remind me that a
large part of the world's almost 7 billion humans are simply going about
their business of survival in an increasingly degraded environment--one for
which there are no reliable statistics but about which there can be little
question. Worse, there are no statistics on how the once biologically rich
areas in parts of the earth, Africa, for example, were fairly recently (the
last
century) self-sustaining but now largely dependent, ironically upon the very
imperial  nations which impoverished them in the latter nineteenth and early
twentieth centuries, and continue to do so.

I have a little trouble following Polgar's meaning concerning "importance"
and "dominance." If by "important" Polgar means "keystone," I would
certainly agree that H. sapiens' departure or diminishment might have
salutary effects upon biological diversity, but I would suggest that
bacteria
are more likely to be important biologically. If by "importance" Polgar
means the destruction of other species for reasons unrelated to survival and
a seeming determination to foul its own nest (not to mention those of other
species and others of its own kind) on the basis of clearly insane whims
(e.g., production of artless and valueless trinkets and planned obsolesence;
cell phones, ad nauseam), it would seem that H.
sapiens wins that contest hands down.

But again I would emphasize that it is the development of culture that is at
the root of this phenomenon. Nature may drive us, but culture drives us
crazy.

WT