Inigo; never having tried to noodle a crayfish out of his hole with bacon, I'm
intrigued by this approach!  Here in Vermont, I deal mostly with river and
stream crayfish.  I catch them by laying a net with a D-shaped frame on the
river bottom behind a particular rock, then 'startle' the critter out from
under the rock from the front.  Since, like lobsters, crays flip their tails to
escape in backwards burst, this is usually pretty effective.  Another method
I've helped with is to use minnow traps baited with a small opened can of moist
catfood.  Leave it out overnight and you should have a few 'mudbugs' by morning.

As far as wrangling the little beasts, I try not to.  My daughter, however, is
adept at this: she slowly advances a hand toward the critter, thumb and
forefinger extended, then quickly and FIRMLY catches it in a pincher-hold just
behind the claws, sort of grabbing it in the armpits, so to speak.  The little
guy can flip its tail and wave its claws, but neither is very effective if you
have a good hold.  The claws usually end up extended up and out, and you can
get a nice view of its underside this way.  You could visit the seafood counter
at your local grocer's to see how they handle the lobsters, just for reference.

Cheers,
Kelly

Black River Action Team (BRAT)
45 Coolidge Road