Hello,

My name is Andrew Thornton.  I'm a biologist at Guana Tolomato Matanzas NERR in
Northeast Florida.  For the past few years we have been performing Marsh Bird
Monitoring, following the National Marsh Bird Monitoring Protocol that was
cooperatively set up by USGS, USFWS, and the University of Arizona (Dr.
Conway).  I am attempting to analyze our personal data using the program
Distance, v6.0, but I have been having some issues with making sure I am
running everything correctly.  I have gone through a large part of the
Introduction to Distance Sampling: Estimating Abundance of Biological
Populations book, and while that has been a great help, I'd really like to
contact someone who has used this analysis method for similar purposes to make
absolutely certain I am inputting everything correctly.  One of my major
concerns is that our Marsh Bird Monitoring takes place on a habitat boundary;
for most of our survey that is where the marsh meets the water.  The water in
our case is often a large body, and I believe this may be skewing our data
because of the lack of birds from approximately half of the potential range of
detections area.

If you have experience with this analysis and would be willing to help, I would
very much appreciate being contacted off list.  It may be that all I need is a
fifteen minute phone call to work through this.

Thanks very much,

Andrew Thornton
Contract Field Biologist, Anastasia Mosquito Control
DEP, GTM Research Reserve
505 Guana River Rd
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL  32082
(904)823-4525
andrew.thorn...@dep.state.fl.us

The Department of Environmental Protection values your feedback as a customer.
DEP Secretary Michael W. Sole is committed to continuously assessing and
improving the level and quality of services provided to you. Please take a few
minutes to comment on the quality of service you received. Simply click on this
link to the DEP Customer
Survey<http://survey.dep.state.fl.us/?refemail=andrew.thorn...@dep.state.fl.us>.
 Thank you in advance for completing the survey.