Hydrologic Modeler

Position Summary:
The Wilderness Society, a national non-profit membership organization devoted
to preserving wilderness and wildlife, is seeking a full-time temporary
Hydrologist to work on modeling current and future watershed dynamics,
including stream flow, groundwater and soil moisture. Our goal is to understand
the current hydrology of an important salmon-bearing stream and how conditions
are likely to be altered by climate change and mine reclamation. This position
is currently funded for a 6 mo term, with high likelihood of extension to at
least 1 year. The Hydrologist will work closely with the Ecologist and Climate
Change Analyst in our Anchorage office and with scientists at other
non-profits, the University of Alaska Fairbanks Scenarios Network for Alaska
Planning (UAF/SNAP) program and agency partners.

Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
•Advancing current modeling efforts aimed at understanding interactions between
climate and landscape factors affecting hydrology in natural systems in Alaska,
especially Southwestern Alaska.
•Understanding and analyzing mining impacts to river and groundwater hydrology.
•Incorporating knowledge of salmon ecology into evaluating river flow,
structure and temperature.
• Building, maintaining and sharing spatial databases with collaborators and
partners.
•Preparing oral presentation of work. Preparing comprehensive reports and
manuscripts for publication.Working with conservation partners and land mangers
to apply the findings of the study to policies and planning.
Qualifications:
•Education and/or training in Hydrologic Modeling. MS degree required; PhD
preferred.
• Ability to design and lead analyses of climate change and mining on watershed
hydrology, including streamflow, groundwater and soil moisture.
•Ability to gather data from diverse sources and synthesize summaries of
historical climate and hydrologic parameters.
• Experience with ArcGIS, managing large datasets, document preparation in
Word, and statistical analyses required. Familiarity with R and/or climate
modeling data preferred. Demonstrated desire and proficiency to prepare reports
and manuscripts for peer-review in a timely manner and to make presentations in
front of public and professional audiences.
Attributes:
•Well-organized with strong attention to details, able to work independently
and as part of a team.
•Interest in public land management and climate change issues, and desire to
learn about Alaskan ecosystems.
•Willingness to travel, including visit to remote study site.
This position is currently funded for 6 mo with high likelihood of extension.
It is located in our downtown Anchorage Office. Associate will work closely
with the Ecologist and Climate Change Analyst in our Alaska Regional Office as
well as with our conservation team. This is a science position within the
Research Department of The Wilderness Society and compensation and benefits are
competitive with university programs.

Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open
until filled. To apply, please submit a PDF file containing a cover letter
explaining your qualifications for the position, a current CV, and the names
and contact information for three references. Submission of recent publications
in PDF format is also encouraged. Please email files with the subject line
“Hydrologist” to: Dr. Wendy Loya wendy_l...@tws.org.  Non-electronic
applications will be accepted at The Wilderness Society, 705 Christensen Drive,
Anchorage, AK 99577. Please email if you have questions about the position.

At TWS, we advocate for and protect the rich variety of life, values and
experiences that wild places provide; as an organization we are equally
committed to honoring diversity in our staff and creating an inclusive work
environment.

Best,

Christine Soliva
Research Project Coordinator