Dear ECOLOG,

Thanks to several correspondents who helped me with my question about
chlorosis in Pin Oaks (see below).  The preferred  hypothesis is that
Pin Oaks rely on one/several mycorrhizal symbiont(s) to absorb iron (and
perhaps other nutrients) from soil, especially in high-pH soils.
Disturbed sites (e.g. in towns) may lack the fungi and/or conditions
suitable to their growth.  The following article describes a controlled
experiment investigating the phenomenon:

Hauer and Dawson: Chlorotic Pin Oak and Mycorrhizae. Journal of
Arboriculture 22(3): May 1996

I still have questions, however, about why Pin oak symbionts are more
sensitive to such altered conditions when other Oaks (or their
symbionts) appear to be less affected.

---Paul Weihe