I am doing a caloric comparison of the main fruit that we found in raccoon
diets locally (Autumn Olive
(Elaeagnus umbellata), Oriental Bittersweet (Celastrus orbiculatus), Grape
(Vitis sp.), Mulberry (Morus sp.), and Prickly pear (Opuntia humifusa)).  I
have found dry weight caloric values for Elaeagnus, Celastrus, and Vitis, I am
sure I can find Morus but I haven't yet.  the big problem appears to be
Opuntia.  I can't find the dry weight caloric content of Opuntia humifusa fruit
in any of my references or on line.  Can anyone out there help?

Dr. Russell Burke
Department of Biology
Hofstra University
Hempstead, NY 11549