Aaftab -

The software package ImageJ should do everything that you need.

http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/

This is a Java version of NIH Image. Both are open source and there is a very active user community with a large set of plug-ins to extend capabilities/automate processing.

If you choose to go the manual route, consider using mass/weight rather than counting squares. Develop a regression line of mass v. area by cutting out squares of known area from identical blank paper. Then simply cut out the areas of interest from your maps and weigh them. Best to use photocopies of your maps for this.

-David