Dear Colleagues,

I have been guest-editing a special issue in the journal Ecological Modelling (EcoMod). The topic of this special issue is "Mapping and Disentangling Human Decisions in Complex Human-Nature Systems", which is based on an approved symposium (Feb 18, 2011) during the 2011 AAAS meeting. This is an open call for original research articles related to the topic, and the symposium description (attached below) may help you get a better idea of what we are seeking.

If you are interested in submitting a paper, please contact me (l...@mail.sdsu.edu) by email and send me your abstract (better if you have an extended abstract). All the papers are expected to be finished by February 1--you may send your paper to me through email initially, but the journal requests that you submit your paper through EcoMod's online submission system. All the papers will be subject to peer reviews, and decisions (acceptance /decline) will be made in Mid-March 2011.

If you have questions or concerns, please contact me. Thank you very much

[Symposium description]

Many coupled human-nature systems are characterized by complexities such as nonlinearities and heterogeneity (Liu et al. 2007 Science). Less is known about how human decisions are made to affect such systems. This symposium, incorporating case studies in three Asian National Reserves/parks, centers on generalizing characteristics, driving forces, and related methodologies for understanding human decision making and its consequences. Employing social surveys, fieldwork, and different modeling approaches (e.g., agent-based modeling, multi-level modeling), we will explore how social norms and the hierarchical structure of human organizations or decisions may feedback into each other and affect human resource utilization decisions, thus affecting habitat dynamics of these species. Following that, several well-established researchers will present general theoretical reflections on what theories and methods can be used to tackle human decisions, and how such decisions lead to system changes. Our purposeful intermix of researchers from different career stages, study sites, and backgrounds aims to better fertilize the study of complex human-nature systems. This symposium has been endorsed by International Network of Research on Coupled Human and Natural Systems and consulted with the AAAS Geology and Geography Section.

All the best,

Li

Li An (°²Á¦), PhD
Associate Professor