Conservation Conflict Resolution
Graduate and Professional Training Course
January 10-19, 2011
Held at the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute, Front Royal, Virginia,
USA
Smithsonian-Mason Global Conservation Studies Program
See http://conservationtraining.si.edu or contact
scbitrain...@si.edu<mailto:scbitrain...@si.edu> for more information

Conservation Conflict Resolution, an intensive experiential training, is a must
for anyone addressing conservation conflicts, whether these are conflicts
between people and wildlife or between people about wildlife or other natural
resources. To reach conservation goals more effectively, we need to better
analyze conflict dynamics, anticipate arising conflicts, and reconcile old
conflicts that may impede new progress. We also need to understand how
struggles about identity, status, and group recognition affect conservation
conflicts. Process is critical. By accurately analyzing conflicts to determine
their root causes and then facilitate appropriate resolution processes, we can
foster trust and respect among stakeholders and ensure sustainable conservation
solutions. Designed and led by the co-founders of the Human-Wildlife Conflict
Collaboration (HWCC), a leading organization in conflict resolution capacity
building (humanwildlifeconflict.org), the course teaches proven skills,
strategies, and processes for effectively addressing conservation-related
conflict, including: using practical models and tools for conducting analysis
of deep-rooted conflict; designing intervention processes for real-life
conflict prevention and reconciliation plans; understanding the roles of
identity and neutrality in conflict transformation; and conflict-transforming
communication techniques. Course fee: $2,500 (includes meals/ accommodations).
Earn Continuing Education Units; graduate credits available for qualified
applicants at additional cost through George Mason University. Visit
http://conservationtraining.si.edu or contact
scbitrain...@si.edu<mailto:scbitrain...@si.edu> for more information.

“Approach the course with motivation, diligence, and an open mind and you will
no longer view conflict as a source of anxiety, but as an opportunity to
address deep-seated, and often ignored, issues at the heart of every dispute.
It will make you a better collaborator, a stronger leader, and a more diverse
researcher.  It did for me!"  C. Hester, 2010