A graduate research assistantship (MS or PhD) in aquatic ecology is available in Alan Wilson’s lab at Auburn University (http://www.wilsonlab.com). Two current lab research projects include (1) an NSF-funded project where we are using limnocorral and whole pond experiments to understand the ecological mechanisms controlling or promoting harmful cyanobacterial blooms and (2) a CDC-funded project linking water quality to human health. Also, a new NSF-funded, undergraduate training grant will provide the new member of our lab unique opportunities for mentoring experience. Students in my lab are welcome to participate on existing projects but are strongly encouraged to develop their own research projects in addition to applying for external grants and fellowships. The ideal candidate will be hard-working, honest, and excited about studying freshwater plankton communities using lab and field-based approaches. Prior ecological course work and experiences are highly desirable. Preference will be given to a student available by August 2011. Also, given my joint appointment, students can matriculate into one of two AU departments – Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures (http://www.ag.auburn.edu/fish/) or Biological Sciences (http://www.auburn.edu/academic/cosam/departments/biology/index.htm) – pending their interests and professional aspirations.

Interested students are encouraged to email a letter describing why my lab is a good fit for you, contact information for three references (two professional and one personal), and a brief resume (including GRE scores and grades in relevant courses) to Alan Wilson at wil...@auburn.edu by 1 January 2011 for full consideration.

---
Alan Wilson - Assistant Professor
Auburn University - Fisheries & Biological Sciences
www.wilsonlab.com - wil...@auburn.edu
www.cyanopros.com - 334.246.1120