PH.D. GRADUATE RESEARCH OPPORTUNITY
K-12 Climate Change Education using NASA Data Sets

The Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory at Colorado State University seeks a
highly-motivated Ph.D. student to join an interdisciplinary team of
scientists and educators on a project to strengthen K-12 teaching and
learning about global climate change using NASA Earth system data.   We are
collaborating with the Poudre and Greeley-Evans School Districts in Northern
Colorado to prepare teaching modules that introduce students to climate
change issues at local to regional scales and provide them with the
information they need to explore the ideas on their own.  We will be
applying place-based and learning progression education philosophies to
address global change issues and employing them with the use of geospatial
data in classroom settings.

A Graduate Research Assistantship is available for a Ph.D. student to serve
as the primary liaison between teachers and researchers, and to provide
technical expertise.  The student will conduct an independent research
project within the context of the broader project goals.

We seek a well-qualified and self-motivated student with interests in global
change education and interdisciplinary research. An M.S. degree or
substantial experience in geography, landscape ecology, geophysics, or some
aspect of remote sensing is preferred.  To apply, send the following
information by email to Kim Melville-Smith: 1) a cover letter outlining your
research and educational interests and experience, 2) a detailed CV, and 3)
contact information for at least 2 academic referees. Members of under-
represented groups are encouraged to apply.  Graduate student stipend and
resident tuition fees are available for 3 year, subject to satisfactory
progress in both coursework and research.

Contact:
Kim Melville-Smith
Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory
1499 Campus Delivery
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1499
Email: kamsm...@nrel.colostate.edu
Phone: 970-491-7715

Project web site, including participants (in progress):
http://www.nrel.colostate.edu/projects/gcce/