Hi Mark

Thanks for this. There is one thing that you say that I am not totally
convinced of...

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Dixon, Mark <mark.di...@usd.edu> wrote:

>  Hi Neil,
>

> Thanks for your response.  In the context of global warming, I guess the
> “should” is more straightforward.  Even if we did not have some greater
> purpose beyond ourselves, then it would be in our own self interests to
> minimize the negative effects (on us, at least) of global climate change.
> On some other issues, where the “should” involves saving other species, etc.
> because it seems morally right to do so (above and beyond our self
> interests), then to me it really invokes the “specialness” of humans.  If
> humans are not special in some way, then actions and motivations that are
> not clearly in our self interests don’t make much sense to me.

I am not convinced that there is a link between 'being special' and 'having
non-self-interested actions/motivations'. If the human species is 'special',
then, by definition, all non-human planetary life-forms are not special.
However, I think that it is at least plausible that some non-human planetary
life-forms can have 'non-self-interested actions and motivations'.

I should say that I am using the term 'self-interested' to refer to the
'interests of the species' (which, I assume, is what you had in mind).
However, if we move to the level of 'planetary life' then what are
'non-self-interested' actions at the 'species level' could possibly be in
the interests of 'planetary life', and so, in a sense, actually be
'self-interested actions'. (i.e, what is 'non-self-interested at one scale
is 'self-interested' at another scale).

Perhaps, your view is grounded in a particular perspective at a particular
scale (a particular biological view at the species level)? Whereas, my view
is more complex because of the consideration of different scales.

> But, I think I misunderstood your original post and the intent of your
> book.  My original comment was really just “off the cuff”, without having
> really looked more closely at your book, and was under the assumption that
> you were arguing that humans are not special.  But, based on your email
> response and a quick glance at the description of the book, I see that you
> are indeed arguing that humans are special and have a purpose.  I guess I’ll
> need to read the book to get a better understanding of your full argument.

I thought this might have been the case... I should make it clear that I
only believe that humans are special because I believe that the human
species has a purpose.

Neil

U.S.  http://www.amazon.com/dp/190796200X/ref=nosim?tag=cranmorpublic-20

U.K.   http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/190796200X/ref=nosim?tag=cranmorpubl0b-21