that live off
arsenic in place of phosphorus, I agree that the media has greatly hyped up its
conclusions.
Furthermore, I want to bring attention to the strong criticisms of the study
among many
microbiologists, one scientist from the University of Colorado going as far as
to say that the paper
should never have been published (see
http://www.slate.com/id/2276919/pagenum/all/).

Among several issues identified with the study, a couple notable ones are:
1. When the authors stopped feeding phosphorus to the bacteria and replaced it
with arsenic, the
bacteria kept growing, implying that the bacteria were living off the arsenic.
However, they were
also feeding the bacteria a salt that had been contaminated with phosphorus.
Granted, it was a
very tiny amount of phosphorus, but many other bacteria species have been known
to live off so
little phosphorus, so this bacterium could have been eking out a living from
the contaminated
salts.
2. The study gives evidence for the bacteria incorporating arsenic compounds in
their DNA.
Arsenic compounds break down in water, so if there was arsenic in the DNA, when
submerged in
water the DNA should have broken into many small fragments. Instead of this,
however, the DNA
remained in a small number of large chucks, suggesting that the DNA was
composed of more
stable phosphorus compounds.

Rosie Redfield, a microbiologist at the University of British Columbia, posted
a much more
extensive and detailed review of the arguments against the study's findings at:
http://rrresearch.blogspot.com/2010/12/arsenic-associated-bacteria-nasas.html

Regards,
Briana Abrahms