Hi everyone,

I have just returned from the Ecological Society of Australia meeting and among
other issues, there was much discussion about the term biodiversity. Many
people argue that this term is hard to define, and importantly, the public have
no idea what it actually means and therefore they have less connection/concern
to preserve/conserve species and habitats. I thought it would be interesting to
hear how others define biodiversity, and if this term isn't helpful for
conveying the importance of species diversity to the public, what term(s)
should we use?

Over to you,

Euan

Dr. Euan G. Ritchie, Lecturer in Ecology, School of Life and Environmental
Sciences
Deakin University, Burwood, Victoria, 3125, Australia.
Building T, Room T3.09.3
Phone: 03 9251 7606 International: +61 3 9251 7606
Mobile: 041 888 2992
Fax:     03 9251 7626 International: +61 3 9251 7626
Email: e.ritc...@deakin.edu.au<mailto:e.ritc...@deakin.edu.au>
Skype:  euanritchie
Website: http://www.deakin.edu.au/scitech/les/staff/ritchiee/
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code 00113B

Important Notice: The contents of this email are intended solely for the named
addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage
of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in
error, please delete it and any attachments immediately and advise the sender
by return email or telephone.
Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any attachments are
error or virus free.