Ecology  Biodiversity  Laws  101215

Ecology is such a squishy, fuzzy, fractal, chaotic phenomenon, it's no wonder definitions of terms are such a challenge.

Defining, pinning down, measuring something that is infinitely complex and continuously changing may be impossible, even irrelevant. If true, that would mean a fundamental paradigm shift away from conventional practice.

Consciously or unconsciously, ecologists and others who ponder the wonder of life seem to variously try to conventionally measure, then intuit, relate, and re-check, only to find an infinity of not-quite-fits, and measure again in a cycle that is simultaneously revealing, frustrating, close, and far, in a never-ending quest for some Holy Grail of certainty when contentment may lie in an acceptance of small glimpses of "this wonder of life."

Trying to hammer this genie into a bottle in the image of our self-conception may be useful up to a point (it is quite a challenge to avoid trying to put such phenomena into terms we already know, and a fearsome prospect to open our hearts and minds to a kind of osmosis wherein we assume a more passive than aggressive posture and "let it happen") where the phenomena we glimpse "write" the rules and we are mere stenographers.

Critical thinking is all very well, but when it comes to being critical about our own thinking-well, that sort of thing just isn't usually done, is it? We are uncomfortable with the idea that the error might lie in the certainty of our views (definitions, methods, yes, even numerical "discipline" . . . ) rather than in challenges to them.

Yet the history of scientific advance is written, not about the certainty of paradigms, but of the heretical challenges that, at long last, finally break through. We are, after all, a social species, and conformity to groupthink is historically tied closely to the very survival that enabled us to entertain the luxury of contemplation of something besides our next meal-or mega-fortune.

As an example of such an heretical challenge, we might look at the concept of biodiversity and the conclusions that are derived from it. Biodiversity, for example, might be a valid concept based on an intuitive hunch, and like all hunches in history, the concept must stand up to continuous testing; the problem comes in when we stop the testing. An assemblage of species that is, say, largely (99 percent or some other large number) composed of one species (or of low genetic diversity) with a large number of species (or of high genetic diversity) might be as resilient as its environment makes possible. Historically, the earth of, say, 3.7 billion years BCE might have been an approximation of that hypothetical. Given the literal hell's fire and brimstone that life apparently has had to endure to reach its present level of complexity, one might be able to conclude that such "low diversity" might have possessed an as yet not understood kind of flexibility not dependent upon diversity.

I dunno . . . what say y'all?

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mimi Tzeng" <mwtz...@gmail.com>