Subject:    Science Policy Opportunity for AGU Members
Date:       Fri, 04 Feb 2011 07:39:53 -0800
From:       Michael J. McPhaden, President, American Geophysical Union

Dear student member of AGU:

You are an AGU member because you want to contribute to advancing our
science. Your work in the classroom and laboratory is only one component
of that effort. Our community can make progress, in part, because of
federal support for scientific research and education. Several science
students have written an open letter

http://www.aibs.org/public-policy/science_students_letter.html

to federal legislators underlining the importance of federal support to
the sciences, even in difficult financial times. I recommend that you
read the letter, and if you support it, to sign on. AGU itself issued a
press release:

http://www.agu.org/news/press/pr_archives/2011/2011-03.shtml

last week praising President Obama’s pledge during his State of the
Union address to strongly support U.S. science. We need all voices to be
heard on this important issue.
Signing on to the letter is an opportunity for you to take that first
step in political action in support of our sciences, but I hope it won’t
be the only one you take. Your involvement in science policy helps the
entire scientific community. Next steps could include participation in
an AGU Congressional Visits Day, a Congressional Science Fellowship, an
internship in the AGU Public Affairs Department, contacting your
legislators, or following science policy news through our website,
social media, and Science Policy Alerts. All of this information is
available in more detail at:

www.agu.org/sci_pol

Please join me in taking action to shape the future of our science and
our community.

Sincerely,

Michael J. McPhaden
President, American Geophysical Union