Meadows' book is excellent -- by far the best I've read on intro-level
systems thinking. Also, have you looked at G. Tyler Miller's
"Essentials of Ecology"? I haven't read it, but Miller's environmental
science textbooks are substantive and very engaging.

Jane Shevtsov

--
Jane Shevtsov

"In the long run, education intended to produce a molecular
geneticist, a systems ecologist, or an immunologist is inferior, both
for the individual and for society, than that intended to produce a
broadly educated person who has also written a dissertation." --John
Janovy, Jr., "On Becoming a Biologist"