Hi Kevin, this is great. Here's a link to a PDF of the article I wrote in
the British Ecological Society journal
http://post.queensu.ca/~groganp/Hypotheses%20in%20Ecology2foradobe.pdf.
Figure 1 in particular may help in making more clear what I mean by
iterative, and how one cycle feeds into other larger cycles that ultimately
yields a product - a published piece of new knowledge (that could I think be
derived from 'observational' or 'exploratory' research as you put it)...and
ultimately that new knowledge leads to further new hypotheses.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Grogan
Plant and Ecosystem Ecologist

Dept. of Biology,
Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada.
Phone: (613) 533 6152.    Fax: (613) 533 6617.
http://post.queensu.ca/~groganp/