Wayne Tyson wrote:

> The problem is credibility of good science in the eyes
> and minds of "the public."

The public is used to hearing rather wildly conflicting information
about climate change from the scientific community. In
1974 some claimed that global cooling was a looming
problem:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,944914,00.html

More recently there have been accusations of fraud:
On Oct. 6, 2010 Harold Lewis, emeritus professor of physics