From: "Emily M. Whattam" <ewhat...@sfu.ca>
To: ECOLOG-L@listserv.umd.edu
Sent: Monday, 21 March, 2011 15:33:43
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Field Assistant Wanted - April 25 2011 British Columbia

FIELD ASSISTANT WANTED

I am looking for a field assistant from April 25 - end of May 2011, with a
possibility of extension to the end of July 2011. As this is the first
field season of my Ph.D., a lot of it will consist of scouting for good
field sites in BC and Alberta and trying out and perfecting different
methodologies. We will be locating harlequin duck breeding streams and
quantifying aquatic invertebrate abundance, harlequin duck density and
terrestrial bird densities along these streams. Later in the field season,
we may be mist netting and banding harlequin ducks and obtaining some non-
invasive measurements from them. We may also do some field experiments
involving fish odour and the aquatic invertebrates living in these streams.

We will be driving to each site and living in tents in the backwoods of BC
and Alberta. Food and transportation to each field site are included. Some
sites may be as far as a day's hike from the car. No experience is
necessary, though the ability to identify terrestrial birds by appearance
or song is a great asset. Backwoods, banding and/or mist netting
experience and a valid driver's licence are also assets. Candidates should
have an interest in ecology and conservation, enjoy the outdoors, be very
open to last-minute schedule changes, learn quickly, be able to work
independently and have a high level of patience with changing
methodologies. Candidate will be working and living with me in the woods
for days at a time, so strong interpersonal skills and a positive attitude
are essential.

Please send cover letter, resume and three references (including email &amp;
phone info) to Emily M. Whattam (email: ewhat...@sfu.ca). Interviews will
be ongoing until the position is filled.