As a former small-town journalist who is now on track to go on for
graduate studies in ecology (Got funding?), I'd like to throw out a
suggestion on this topic, with some notes on execution:

Find your local weekly newspaper and contact them to do a long-term
story, or a series of stories, on you doing your research. The large
dailies are less likely to take on a project like this given the news
cycle and styles there, I think. The reporters at the small papers are
likely there either because they are young, ambitious journalists
looking for a great story to launch their careers from, or they are
slightly older folks who just love writing stories or love the
particular community they are in. Readership for these papers is
typically a little older, so you're really getting at the long-time
community members who care a little bit about everything, but their
only expertise is in their particular line of work (and town gossip).
I'm sure you can imagine how reaching this crowd would be
beneficial...

Small-town papers are always looking for stories, as opposed to
articles. A story has a trajectory and it has characters, as opposed
to an article that is a simple report on an issue.  If you're going to
try to get a story going, be prepared to be involved in it. It can't
be just about the research, but about why you are doing the research,
and the humanistic problems you encounter.

Also remember that you are only providing the material; you are not
driving what gets written. Take a deep breath, and accept that. Do NOT
ask to see the story prior to publication. Would you let a journalist
peer-review your work? No, so be respectful and don't expect them to
let you review theirs. If you've been clear, patient, and forthcoming,
the journalist will get the story right. That's their job. The best
way you can help here is to come up with some really good and simple
analogies that explain a concept. Concerned about the public not
understanding uncertainty? Make a simple analogy, like having 90%
confidence a bald tire will cause an accident, and that 10% chance of
that being untrue is not a reason to fail to act. (But obviously do a
better job than that...).

Q: "So, what do you mean when you're talking about ecosystem functions?"
A: "Well, think about a car engine..." Or baking, or whatever you think works.

I can't remember where I heard this line, but it's perfect: Keep in
mind that you've been working on your research your entire life -- the
journalist has been working on it since lunch. And I'd add that the
reader has been working on it for about 30 seconds.

I think one of the most important things to remember, especially as
"outreach" increasingly gets written into academic job descriptions,
is that the journalist acts as an intermediary between you and the
public because you didn't go to school for communications! Use the
professions that exist to complete your mission. Don't do all the
chemical analysis if you're a statistician. I know you all think you
are great writers and communicators, but I've thrown many
peer-reviewed articles across the room because they are so poorly
written.

Lastly, there is a lot of talk about "hostile" media as if this is a
terribly new thing. The concept of "objectivity" in journalism is a
relatively recent invention. Journalism is better than it ever has
been. And there are two types of journalism out there that are
required in order for the business model to work: the actual news, and
the entertainment. Don't get your knickers twisted around because a
scientist goes on Fox News expecting to have a serious discussion.
Instead the scientist should be chastised for thinking that because it
is a "news" organization it has a moral obligation to perform an
*ideal* act of news. There are venues for *ideal* news. Fox is not it,
but small-town community journalism can be.

Cheers,
Gordon Lane
Undergraduate Student
Department of Environmental Science