Rachel:

In my opinion, "Ecology" and "Natural History" are not mutually exclusive,
nor are they synonyms. Rather, they overlap in content, and it may be fair
to characterize "ecology" as a subset of "natural history."  In other words,
all "ecology" can be thought of as "natural history" but not vice versa.

"Natural history" is the traditional term for trying to understand how the
"natural world" works.  It was traditionally observational, laden with value
judgment, and non-quantitative.  It did not have to be specifically directed
at living organisms; studies of tide cycles, geology and astronomy would
also fall within "natural history."

"Ecology" would be a subset of "natural history" inquiry on organisms or
their habitats, conducted and analyzed in a replicable manner according to
the principles of experimental design and analysis (such as sampling theory
and statistics) so that the conclusions are robust and generalizable.

"Natural history" gets a bad rap for being "a collection of anecdotes" and
that may well be true, especially as it was practiced in the past.  But as
others have pointed out, Darwin's approach to "natural history study" rose
above that generalization, to become recognizable as "ecology".

It's not fair to equate "ecology" with the worst practices of "natural
history"; rather, "ecology" is an example of the best (in a scientific
perspective) way to practice "natural history."

Hope this helps-

John D. Perrine, PhD
 Assistant Professor / Associate Curator of Mammals
 Biological Sciences Department
 California Polytechnic State University
 San Luis Obispo, CA  93407-0401