Hello-

My name is Jonathan Brown. I'm a reporter with Colorado Public Radio and I'm
working on a story about federal designations of wilderness.

I'm trying to get a scientific/empirical response to this question:

"What do federal wilderness designations do?"

We  already know they prevent road building, construction of any kind,
motorized
use,  drilling, mining, timber harvesting and humans can only visit, not
remain.
But  what - if anything - is the result of all this? Are the air and water
cleaner? Fauna and flora healthier somehow? Do wilderness areas protect
headwaters, as many proponents claim?

Again,  I'm looking for an empirical response to these questions and I'm hoping
someone out there can  provide substantive answers.

Thank you-

Jonathan Brown
Colorado Public Radio
(303) 871-9191 x 456