Request for Species Proposals for Consideration at the Sixteenth Regular
Meeting of the
Conference of the Parties to the Convention on International Trade in
Endangered Species of Wild
Fauna and Flora by USF&WS

AGENCY: Fish and Wildlife Service, Interior. ACTION: Notice.

SUMMARY: We invite you to provide us with information and recommendations on
animal and plant
species that should be considered as candidates for U.S. proposals to amend
Appendices I and II of
the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and
Flora (CITES or the
Convention) at the upcoming sixteenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties
(CoP16). Such
amendments may concern the addition of species to Appendix I or II, the
transfer of species from
one Appendix to another, or the removal of species from Appendix II. Finally,
with this notice, we
also describe the U.S. approach to preparations for CoP16. We will publish a
second Federal
Register notice to solicit information and recommendations on possible
resolutions, decisions, and
agenda items for discussion at CoP16 and to provide information on how to
request approved
observer status.

DATES: We will consider all information and comments we receive on or before
August 15, 2011.
ADDRESSES: Send correspondence pertaining to species proposals to the Division
of Scientific
Authority; U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; 4401 North Fairfax Drive; Room 110;
Arlington, VA 22203;
or via e-mail to: cop16spec...@fws.gov. Comments and materials we receive
pertaining to species
proposals will be available for public inspection, by appointment, from 8 a.m.
to 4 p.m., Monday
through Friday, at the Division of Scientific Authority.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Rosemarie Gnam, Chief, Division of Scientific Authority; phone 703–358– 1708;
fax 703–358–
2276; e-mail: scientificauthor...@fws.gov.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:

Background
The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild
Fauna and Flora, hereinafter referred to as CITES or the Convention, is an
international treaty
designed to regulate international trade in certain animal and plant species
that are now, or
potentially may become, threatened with extinction. These species are listed in
the Appendices to
CITES, which are available on the CITES Secretariat’s Web site at
http://www.cites.org/eng/app/
index.shtml.

Currently, 175 countries, including the United States, are Parties to CITES.
The Convention calls for
regular biennial meetings of the Conference of the Parties, unless the
Conference decides
otherwise. At these meetings, the Parties review the implementation of CITES,
make provisions
enabling the CITES Secretariat in Switzerland to carry out its functions,
consider amendments to
the list of species in Appendices I and II, consider reports presented by the
Secretariat, and make
recommendations for the improved effectiveness of CITES. Any country that is a
Party to CITES may
propose amendments to Appendices I and II, resolutions, decisions, and agenda
items for
consideration by all the Parties at the meeting.

This is our first in a series of Federal Register notices that, together with
an announced public
meeting, provide you with an opportunity to participate in the development of
the U.S.
submissions to and negotiating positions for the sixteenth regular meeting of
the Conference of
the Parties to CITES (CoP16). Our regulations governing this public process are
found in Title 50 of
the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) at § 23.87.

For Rest of this announcement, it it long, full of information of what
information you need to
submit, history of CITEs, format, etc. email Rosemarie Gnam at
scientificauthor...@fws.gov. or
Allen Salzberg/Herpdigest at asalzb...@herpdigest.org