Hi Rajasri,

Sorry for coming to this late.  Is your concern that in the case of small
patches you've sampled completely, but in the case of large patches, some
species may have gone undetected?

If that's the case, using Chao's indices might be a good option.  They try
to take account of "unseen" species.  The paper is by Chao et al. 2005 in
Ecology Letters.  Here's a link:
http://chao.stat.nthu.edu.tw/paper/2005_EcologyLetters_8_P148.pdf

This might not be helpful, in particular you'll need species abundances or
replication through time.  Also, I'm not sure what the uniform area concept
is, so I just took a guess.  Hope it's helpful.

Best of luck,
Andy