Are there any "classic" or more well-known studies that are oft-cited for
how traits that may enhance the sexual fitness of an animal may decrease its
survival? I know of examples of birds with elaborate feathers getting more
parasites but don't remember who showed that (wasn't it that guy who was
later criticized for falsifying data? Was his work ever vindicated?) And
then there's the example of antlers in cervids. but I don't know any
citations offhand. I need to cite them in a paper on something else entirely
but though I could easily find a couple studies, I wanted to cite the ones
that "everyone cites" - the classic ones - and I wouldn't be able to figure
that out easily.

Thanks for any help.

Wendee

Wendee Holtcamp, M.S. Ecology  ~ Writer * Photographer * Bohemian

Web: [www.wendeeholtcamp.com <http://www.wendeeholtcamp.com/> ]
Blog: [bohemianadventures.blogspot.com
<http://bohemianadventures.blogspot.com/> ]
Twitter: @bohemianone
Email: bohem...@wendeeholtcamp.com

Online Magazine Writing Classes starting July 16  & Aug 27 2011 - Ask me!