Hi Ecologgers!

Thank you so much for the advice and words of support!!  I will try many of
your suggestions in an attempt to increase yield.

A little bit more detail about what I've done so far: nanodrop machine,PCR,
 and tissue extraction from preserved specimens.

I use a nanodrop machine to quantify my DNA yield.
I have also run PCR and gels of my samples.  I used the protocol from

Jensen, T., Pernasetti, F.M., & Durrant, B. 2003. Conditions for rapid sex
determination in 47 avian species by PCR of genomic DNA from blood,
shell-membrane blood vessels, and feathers. Zoo Biology, 22, 561-571.

but have also decreased the annealing temperature as well as increased the
cycle number to 45 instead of 30.
Lastly, I have extracted tissue samples from male specimens we have.  We
unfortunately do not have a female specimen for me to extract tissue.

My gel results show bands for the tissue samples but never for the feather
samples.  I'm using Sybersafe 2% e-gels.

Thank you very much again!!

Erin