Hi All:

Because most scientific organizations such as ESA work under embargoes, you are
unlikely to see advance news stories about the meeting.  Once the embargoes
begin to lift (the day a presentation is made at the Annual Meeting), the media
will begin to cover the meeting.  The exception was the belly button microbe
story, where a reporter broke the embargo and we lifted it for everyone; hence
the story is already out well before the research is presented at the ESA
Meeting.

Organizations use embargoes for both scientific meetings where new research is
presented as well as for their journals.  The idea is to give reporters advance
time to learn about the topic, interview the researchers and put together a
good story.  The embargo gives all reporters the same amount of time to prepare
their story.  For a meeting, the embargo lists on the day the research is
presented; for a journal, it is usually when the journal article is published.

ESA distributed several embargoed press releases to all its trusted media
contacts, as well as worked with many institutions' public information offices
to encourage them to send out their own releases about the meeting if they have
researchers from their institution presenting in Austin.

About a dozen press are registered to attend and cover the Annual Meeting and
we expect more to cover it remotely.

The Society's Opening Plenary and Thursday's benefit concert are open to the
general public free of charge and we sent out Public Service Announcements to
all local news outlets.  Austin EcoNetwork did this short blog promoting the
these two events:

http://www.austineconetwork.com/blog/ecological-society-america-rockin%E2%80%99-austin-night-nature-acl-%E2%80%93-live-concert-benefit-austin-enviro

So, stay tuned, press coverage about the meeting will start rolling in once the
meeting actually starts.

If you have more questions and are attending the ESA meeting in Austin, you are
welcome to stop by our Press Room, room 2 at the Convention Center.

Cheers,

Nadine

Nadine Lymn
ESA Director of Public Affairs

Hello from Austin, folks!

I would like to share some thoughts from my blog as I prepare for the ESA 2011
meeting starting here today, and wonder why this big meeting isn't in the news
- anywhere:

http://leafwarbler.posterous.com/a-few-thousand-ecologists-meet-in-the-city-to

I would appreciate any feedback, on why ESA isn't more in the news, or whether
it is just my misperception.

Madhu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Madhusudan Katti
Associate Professor of Vertebrate Biology
Department of Biology, M/S SB73
California State University, Fresno
Fresno, CA 93740-8034

Email: mka...@csufresno.edu