All:

Ecologically speaking, horses are a true grasslands animal, adaptable to some
extent, but not adaptable enough; the Intermountain West and the Southwest have
few places truly suitable for horses. Dayton Hyde, who owned a big ranch in
southwestern Oregon, moved to the plains to care for "wild" (feral) horses
http://www.daytonohyde.com/ahomeforwildhors.html .

This is another good example to illustrate that habitat is not definable by
geography; it is defined by the organisms most suited to habitat conditions.
The Great Plains is good horse habitat even though horses did not evolve there.
Their requirements are similar to the indigenous bison, the healthy-protein
animal birthright which our alien forefathers (except my grandmother's side)
almost killed out for the mess of white-bread and breakfast-cereal pottage we
industrially farm today, so they could probably establish viable populations,
especially in the absence of enough predators to keep their populations
healthy.

The feral horses which do survive (many starve, and many are ill-suited to the
harsh conditions under which they must struggle to live, their numbers harshly
thinned out to a wilder and wilder form by indifferent Nature.)

Personally, I love horses. Ecologically, the western US is very poor in
suitable habitat, which is almost entirely taken up by human, fenced-off uses,
forcing them to live a harsher-than-normal life in marginal habitat ill-suited
to their survival. Even though I admire their beauty, grace, and apparent
toughness, turning domestic horses loose is a cruel act for most of them.

Personally, I love pronghorns too; they are better-adapted to the marginal,
semi-arid, and otherwise harsh habitats of the West than horses and cattle
(which also are a grasslands animal, not a "sagebrush steppe" one).

WT