Hi ECOLOG,

I am a graduate student attending California State University, Fullerton and
am currently working on a landscape genetics study that involves the use of
microsatellite markers to determine patters of gene flow and population
structure in northern grasshopper mice.  I am in need of some advice in
order to choose an appropriate method for scoring alleles.  While the
current literature seems to favor sequencing( I do too),I doubt my budget
can support an 300 sample sequencing enterprise.
I have read that comparing silver stained polyacrylamide gels to a size
standard also works. As does autoradiography.  I am interested in hearing
about the experiences folks have had with these older methods and if you
could suggest ways and/or companies of making sequencing more affordable.

Please feel free to email me directly at kflores2...@csu.fullerton.edu

Thanks,
Karla