Ecologgers:

I am stumped with my literature searches to unearth papers on the
response of ecosystem engineers (richness and abundance) to metrics of
habitat heterogeneity.  In particular, I am interested in defining habitat
heterogeneity with regards to spatial landscape metrics of habitat
composition and configuration, and structural complexity.

I realize that by their very definition, ecosystem engineers create and
maintain the complex habitats that other species depend upon.  However, I am
interested in references that investigate how important habitat
heterogeneity is to the foundation species themselves?

I work in coral communities myself but am interested in analogous
multi-species assemblages from the terrestrial world of habitat
engineers/foundation species (i.e. forest tree communities; grassland
communities).

Any leads to work assessing the influence of configuration or composition of
habitat patches on foundation species/engineers would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Brittany

Brittany Huntington
Division of Marine Biology and Fisheries
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
University of Miami
4600 Rickenbacker Causeway
Miami, FL 33149