Hi Liz,

Modelisation of ordinal data is quite difficult. You should read Agresti's book on categorical data to get some important information. If you're a R (or S-plus) user you can also download Laura Thompson's document to accompany Agresti's book. To be simple, a first step consist of using polynomial contrasts to take into account the ordinal component. You can then analyze your data as classical response in any model of your choice but the difference will be that you will look at linear, quadratic or cubic (depending on the number of levels) tendencies and not at differences between the levels of your factor as with a classical nominal variable. Apart from this quite technical point, I have analyze some BB data with a colleague for a river restoration program. I'm quite doubtful about the pertinence of such data as this correspond to important transformation of raw data. Another way of analyzing this data could be to use beta models as the BB scale is bounded.

Regards,

Nicolas