Post-doctoral Researcher in Computational Landscape Ecology, University of
North Carolina at Charlotte, Department of Geography & Earth Sciences

We are recruiting a post-doctoral research associate to study the
large-scale impacts of an invasive tree disease on forest structure and
carbon dynamics. This position is part of a new five-year award from the
National Science Foundation to study interacting disturbances between the
emerging forest disease sudden oak death (SOD), wildfire, and drought.

Over the past decade, our interdisciplinary group from UNC Charlotte, UC
Davis, and UC Berkeley has pursued ecological and evolutionary research –
across multiple spatial scales – on the spread and persistence of the
generalist plant pathogen Phytophthora ramorum (causal agent of SOD) in
coastal forests in California. Two major ecological disturbances recently
affected our long-term study sites in the Big Sur region, which created rare
natural experiments to examine interacting disturbances in a disease system:
i) during summer 2008 a large wildfire burned half of our long-term study
sites and ii) extreme drought conditions variably affected the plant and
pathogen communities during 2007-2009. We have collected spatially extensive
data on host community structure and disease establishment prior to these
disturbances and we have measured post-disturbance changes during and
immediately following the major modifications to the biotic and abiotic
environment.

The post-doctoral associate will play an integral role in developing
“landscape” approaches to modeling ecological feedbacks among the pathogen,
its host communities, and environmental heterogeneity in the context of a
complex, interacting disturbance regime. We are also enthusiastic about
opportunities to model disease-carbon interactions across broader spatial
extents, including the entire geographic range of SOD host species in the
western US.

Highly qualified candidates will possess a strong quantitative background in
spatial analysis and computational modeling of ecological processes in
heterogeneous landscapes. Evidence of a strong scholarly publication track
record and trajectory is essential. Advanced programming skills are a plus.

Working with Ross Meentemeyer the new post doctoral associate will join the
research community and ongoing projects in the Center for Applied Geographic
Information Science (www.gis.uncc.edu). Resources will be available for
travel to conferences, our colleagues’ labs, and fieldwork in coastal
California.

To apply, please email Ross a single PDF file including your curriculum
vitae, a statement of research interests with a description of your
quantitative talents, and the contact information of three references.
Include “Sudden Oak Death Post-Doc Search” in the subject line.  For more
information, please contact Ross through e-mail.  Review of applications
will formally begin January 3, 2012 and will remain open until a suitable
candidate is identified.  Start date is negotiable but available
immediately. The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is an AA/EOE.

Ross K. Meentemeyer | Professor and Executive Director
UNC Charlotte | Center for Applied GIScience
Department of Geography and Earth Sciences
9201 University City Blvd | Charlotte, NC 28223
Phone: 704-687-5944 | Fax: 704-687-5966
rkmee...@uncc.edu | http://www.gis.uncc.edu