On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 11:31 -0600, Stephen Sefick wrote:
> Vegan (on CRAN) may be of help.  Particularly look at the ordistep,
> ordiR2step etc.

But do note the warnings that as these models don't really have a log
likelihood and hence the don't have a deviance nor AIC. The AIC
implemented in vegan uses the method of:

     Godínez-Domínguez, E. & Freire, J. (2003) Information-theoretic
     approach for selection of spatial and temporal models of community
     organization. _Marine Ecology Progress Series_ *253*, 17-24.

Read Jari's warnings in ?deviance.cca regarding its usage.

ordiR2step uses the forward selection method of:

     Blanchet, F. G., Legendre, P. & Borcard, D. (2008) Forward
     selection of explanatory variables. _Ecology_ 89, 2623-2632.

which employs and adjusted R^2 criterion.

Note that any form of forward selection applied to these multivariate
methods is just as likely to be subject to all the problems of stepwise
selection methods familiar to the application of linear regression. It
would be helpful if we could combine these ordination methods with the
concept of shrinkage (e.g. the lasso) so that selection could be
performed in a single step *and* the effects of selection be taken into
account. (There has been some progress in this regard in some
[non-ecological] parts of the literature.)

Or, better still, think before fitting the model and only include those
terms  that you wish to test that correspond to the hypotheses you wish
to test.

HTH

--
 Dr. Gavin Simpson             [t] +44 (0)20 7679 0522