Dear all,

The great danger of invoking religion as a tool in conservation and environmental management is that these holy texts were written at least 1357 years ago (in the case of the Quran) by entirely different cultures and at a time when there were different constraints on populations and behaviour. Religious texts were not intended to be used to solve the debate over sustainability and therefore any interpretation based on them is likely to be ambiguous. Moreover, a verse can be found to sustain almost any viewpoint. For example, in Genesis 1:28, God's instructions to Adam and Eve were (using the 1984 NIV translation):

/God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."
/
Or when Noah and his family emerge from the ark in Genesis 9:1-3,

/Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything./

Neither of these passages imply any responsibility to be sustainable, to control human populations or to protect natural systems. The idea that the earth would one day be 'full' is not envisaged and no guidance is given on what to do next. These verses could equally be invoked to argue against the use of resources for conservation - we have a divinely-granted right to do what we like with nature.

A wide variety of religious representatives were recently given a platform at COP17 to present arguments for how their faith could contribute towards the climate change problem. Of course, only those who agreed with the scientific consensus were invited to speak, and personally I believe this sets a dangerous precedent. There are powerful moral imperatives to support conservation and sustainable resource use; these exist beyond religion. Recursively examining religious texts to look for similar statements, then using the religion to 'support' particular actions, opens up the discussion to doctrinal interpretations and schisms that have nothing to do with the original problem, nor even the moral issue at its heart. The debate needs to remain focussed on the evidence if we are to achieve anything.

Best wishes to all regardless of their faith (or none),

Markus Eichhorn