One thing that would help satisfy my curiosity would be to see two
pie-charts showing where college fees go (or went), one for the early
seventies and one for today.  How much of the room/board/tuition goes to
professors' salaries, administrators' salaries, non-teaching professionals'
salaries, to janitors and buildings-and-grounds workers' salaries, etc.
How much goes to new construction, to maintenance, to grounds keeping, to
pensions, to fund raising, to compliance, to research, to scholarships,
etc.  Does anyone have the data that would go into making these pie
charts?   What shifts would we see?  From what I've read in the previous
posts on this thread, we might see increases of the pie slivers
representing compliance, professors' salaries, administrators' salaries,
and scholarships.  Which pie slices will have gotten smaller to fund these
increases?

Martin M. Meiss