Dear Jane,

Thanks for raising the question about open access.

ESA is pleased to have a long track record of making many of its resources
freely available to a wide audience.  As our letter notes, ESA freely shares:

- The Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America
- Issues in Ecology
- A featured articles in each issue of the four peer-reviewed subscription
journals that ESA publishes
- All special issues of Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, Ecology, and
Ecological Applications
- The "Reports" section of Ecology and the "Communications" section of
Ecological Applications
- Ecological Archives
- All ESA journal abstracts
- Ecosphere, a rapid-publication, online only, author pays, open access journal
(most recent journal, started in 2010)

Our policy of allowing authors to freely post their papers online is
longstanding and our permissions policy has always been very liberal in order
to promote use of research articles for educational purposes.

ESA, like many other publishers, is continuing to experiment with ways that
papers can be made more rapidly and widely available.  But it is important to
keep in mind that publishers invest significant time and resources to produce
peer-reviewed journals that analyze, interpret and report on research results.
In addition, our subscription revenue supports other functions of ESA such as
our public policy and education initiatives, that are also important to our
community.  Open access fees--at least at levels that would be acceptable to
authors--would not cover the costs of these other ESA functions.

Cheers,

Nadine

Nadine Lymn
Director of Public Affairs
Ecological Society of America
1990 M Street, NW
Suite 700
Washington DC  20036
202.833.8773 ext. 205
202.833.8775 Fax
www.facebook.com/esa.org: "Like" the new ESA Facebook page, ask
friends/colleagues to do the same.
http://twitter.com/#!/esa_org: "Follow" ESA on Twitter.
ESA eStore: Now available: "An Ecologist's Guidebook to Policy Engagement."

Fellow Ecologgers,

Have people read ESA's response to a proposed requirement that the results of
federally funded research be publicly available, possibly after an embargo
period? It's available here.
http://www.esa.org/pao/policyStatements/Letters/ESAResponsetoPublicAccessRFI2011.pdf

I have to say I find this response somewhat disappointing. While some of the
concerns raised in it are certainly valid, I believe it underestimates
ecologists' desire to read an interesting new paper now rather than later.
Also, kudos to ESA for allowing authors to freely post their papers online,
something I relied on when I didn't have university journal access, but how is
this financially different from open access? ESA's 2009 financial statement
(the latest available online) may be of interest.
http://www.esa.org/aboutesa/docs/FS2009.pdf

Thoughts?

Jane Shevtsov

--
Jane Shevtsov

"She has future plans and dreams at night.
They tell her life is hard; she says 'That's all right'."  --Faith Hill, "Wild
One"