Dear Ecolog:

Greetings!

I'm reaching out to this wonderful network of many minds in hopes of having
a little luck and that one of you (or many!) have connections in Costa Rica
and wouldn't mind helping a young aspiring conservationist. So firstly,
thank you for taking the time to read this and not filter it out with the
other Ecolog e-mails that don't apply to you!

I am a native Costa Rican, born to a Costa Rican mother and an American
father. I speak English and Spanish fluently, and also can write well in
Spanish. I've lived in the U.S. most of my life and completed my B.Sc
Biology degree with a concentration in Marine and Freshwater Biology from
George Mason University. I also completed a minor in Applied Conservation
Studies through a joint program with the Smithsonian Conservation Biology
Institute. (I also completed a minor in Dance Appreciation from George
Mason, though I don't imagine this will take me anywhere professionally!)

Since my parents have moved back to Costa Rica and I have almost no family
in the US, I feel the need to move back there as well, but have been
advised against doing so without first having a job lined up. So, I've been
looking a bit on craigslist and the classifieds sections of TicoTimes and
La Nacion, and most of what I see is for teaching English, retail jobs,
sales, call centers, etc. and not much in any sort of conservation-related
job at all.

Do any of you know any organizations that might be a good idea for me to
check out? Or any helpful hints or ideas?

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this and offer any advice
you may have! I am generally quite independent minded and a bit shy with
reaching out to strangers (especially ones on Ecolog who I'd rather be
trying to impress or contributing intellectually to conversations with) for
help, and I am definitely stepping out of my comfort zone a bit on this
one, so I really from the bottom of my heart thank you!

Pura vida!

Sincerely yours,

Rachel E. Ford Melendez

PS - Since I have just a B.Sc and not an advanced degree, I understand that
a job as a researcher or something like that is probably out of the
question. I would love to eventually get an advanced degree, but I have a
lot of interests and a broad range of skills, so for now I really want to
just explore my interests and earn enough money to have my own place and a
little extra so I can learn to scuba dive. I am open to a variety of
different types of jobs, as long as at the end of the day I feel like I am
contributing towards a 'greater good' in some way. Ideally, I'd like to be
working with a conservation organization, but again I am open to various
opportunities such as working with a (legitimate) eco-tourist organization.
Something like an entry-level biological technician job would be ideal -
where I am serving to help carry gear and other practical things that
someone with "just a B.Sc" can do, but still contributing concretely
towards conservation or sustainability. My hope is that I could be uniquely
important in such a position because I can help translate English/Spanish
or Spanish/English, and also have the technical training to do things like
report writing, macroinvertebrate sampling, mist-netting, or water
chemistry testing. :-)