After reading portions of the Federal Register notice (use link in message below) proposing changes in the definition of "significant portion of the range", I think that the proposal to restrict the term "range" to only the current range of a species as described here:

"D. Range and Historical Range

    When considering an interpretation of the SPR phrase, we must also
consider the meaning of the term ``range.'' The Services interpret the
term ``range'' to be the general geographical area within which the
species is currently found and to include those areas used throughout
all or part of the species' life cycle, even if not used on a regular
basis. We consider the ``current'' range of the species to be the range
occupied by the species at the time the Services make a determination
under section 4 of the Act.
    Some have questioned whether lost historical range may constitute a
significant portion of the range of a species, such that the Services
must list the species rangewide because of the extirpation in that
portion of the historical range. We conclude that while loss of
historical range must be considered in evaluating the current status of
the species, lost historical range cannot be a significant portion of
the range. In other words, we cannot base a determination to list a
species on the status of the species in lost historical range."
is inconsistent with the Act, which according to this same FR notice, says that a species may be rendered threatened or endangered by any of the five factors, including

(i) The destruction, drastic modification, or severe
curtailment of its habitat;

The impact of logging practices over the past 100 or so years, resulting in complete loss of spotted owl habitat over a great portion of the bird's historical range and the separation of bits of owl habitat by unwelcoming logged lands (habitat fragmentation) have resulted in its current very restricted range and endangered status. Attempts to restore populations of spotted owls in only these presently occupied spots would be unsuccessful. The status of wolves in their historic range, also, would be affected by this proposed change. We would have no wolves in this country except in Minnesota and on Isle Royal under the new interpretation (and one suspects that this case is the real driver for those pushing the Secretary to propose this modification of language). It is, finally, interesting that the proposed language indicates that the final rule will invoke "judicial deference", requiring judges to refrain from making decisions contrary to the clear intention of the law when in this case the Secretary himself acknowledges that there is no clear definition of "significant portion of the range" in the statute.
Mike

For those interested in our government's interpretation of the Endangered Species Act, it would be worthwhile to read the following message and the Federal Register Notice referenced there.
Mike