Stephen,

Landsat has been the corner stone for vegetation mapping since it became
available in the early 1970s.  Vegetation change, depending on specific
questions can certainly be addressed using this technology.  Given that the
spatial resolution is 30 meters, change detection below this is not
feasible with Landsat imagery, However, for synoptic landscape scale
questions it has proven itself to be very useful and informative.

I suggest you look at literature by Dr. Marvin Bauer and his colleagues who
have worked with change detection for some time.  Check out the Journal
Remote Sensing and the Environment for articles, Dr. Bauer is (was) the
editor for this journal.

Without a more detailed understanding of what you are trying to accomplish,
I am not able to offer more specific directions.  However, you may want to
look at change vector analysis methods, spectral change detection, and
other aspects of remote sensing that focus on the spectral information in
the remote sensing imagery.

Steve

Steve Friedman Ph. D.
Ecologist  / Spatial Statistical Analyst
Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Park
950 N Krome Ave (3rd Floor)
Homestead, Florida 33034

steve_fried...@nps.gov
Office (305) 224 - 4282
Fax     (305) 224 - 4147

             Steve Young
             <syoung4@UNLNOTES
             .UNL.EDU>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
             "Ecological                                                cc
             Society of
             America: grants,                                      Subject
             jobs, news"               [ECOLOG-L] Using Landsat data
             <ECOLOG-L@LISTSER
             V.UMD.EDU>

             02/06/2012 09:09
             PM

             Please respond to
                Steve Young
             <syoung4@UNLNOTES
                 .UNL.EDU>

Has anyone had success with using Landsat data for measuring vegetation
change over time? I'm finding that the detail is not fine enough and the
frequency is not short enough for what I am trying to do. I'm not an
expert, so I was curious to hear from others who have been successful
accessing/using the data.
Thanks,
Steve
Stephen L. Young, PhD
Weed Ecologist
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
West Central Research & Extension Center
402 West State Farm Road
North Platte, NE 69101