The Gloria Barron Wilderness Society Scholarship is available to qualified
graduate students. It is created in honor of Gloria Barron, dedicated educator
and tireless advocate for wilderness protection, and administered by The
Wilderness Society, a leading conservation organization based in Washington,
D.C. The scholarship amount varies from year to year.  Historically, we've
awarded $10,000 to graduate students to support their research and preparation
of a paper on an aspect of wilderness.  We strongly encourage proposals
relating to climate change, as well as other topics regarding wilderness
conservation.

Additional funding will be provided to pay travel expenses for the recipient to
work with staff members of The Wilderness Society on this project. The
Wilderness Society wishes to encourage the publication of this work in an
academic journal or other appropriate medium and has additional funds to help
cover expenses of publishing and publicizing the final paper.

The scholarship seeks to encourage individuals who have the potential to make a
significant positive difference in the long term protection of wilderness in
the United States. In the past, individuals like Aldo Leopold and Rachel Carson
have made that kind of lasting difference. They possessed all the skills needed
to excel in their respective professions, but they also possessed something
more: the courage and the vision to think afresh about how and why to protect
our wild lands and the ability to communicate those ideas effectively to others.

For more information about the scholarship and how to apply, please visit our
website at http://wilderness.org/content/gloria-barron-scholarship-guidelines

Deadline: March 31, 2012

Best,

Christine Soliva