This thread often employs 'natural' and 'ecological' as proxies for 'good'
or 'proper' or 'appropriate' or 'desirable'.  Using some past condition to
exemplify a desired future is commonplace, but that past is always poorly
documented and most of our 'knowledge' of past conditions is selectively
conjectural or inferred.  That is the standard recipe for nostalgic
yearning.

It is also clear that 'sequestering' carbon as biomass does not override
concerns the commenters have about belonging, structure and longevity, also
invoked – again vaguely – as proxies for 'good' or 'proper' or
'appropriate' or 'desirable'.

It remains arguable whether ecological communities are much more than an
instantaneous reflection of the contingencies of the story of life on earth
so far.  That story from here on out will likewise entail whatever happens
next.  But apply any metaphor you like (restoration, turning the clock
back, putting the toothpaste back into the tube, putting Humpty Dumpty back
together again) what happens next is not going to be a repeat of what
happened before, and we can never look forward with clarity or confidence
beyond simple, proximate causes and effects.

To paraphrase a non-ecologist, life is happening while we make other
plans.  Meanwhile, ESA's finest minds make plans framed primarily by fear
and loathing of certain change in uncertain directions.  To paraphrase
another non-ecologist, how's that workin' for ya?

Matthew K Chew
Assistant Research Professor
Arizona State University School of Life Sciences

ASU Center for Biology & Society
PO Box 873301
Tempe, AZ 85287-3301 USA
Tel 480.965.8422