Martin,Good point - of course all good science is hypothesis driven ... but I
am sure that nobody wants the literature flooded with the thousands of
hypotheses that go through my mind when I'm in the field or laboratory. Most of
these "informal hypotheses" are unreasonable, silly, confused, and reflect my
general attention deficit, none of them have been ground-shaking new ideas. In
contrast, I'd like to think that some ecologists have appreciated the data I've
collected that were relevant to established hypotheses. Sure, I get excited
about cool new hypotheses or ideas, but I don't like the idea of continually
abandoning established hypotheses that are formulated from decades of
observations, modeling, and careful discussion - but lack sufficient data-rich
tests across multiple ecological systems. I think we are flitting about trying
to be unique and cutting-edge, and as a result the literature tends to be sort
of like my thought processes in the field (a terrible confession to make in a
public forum) - too many new, carelessly developed ideas, and not enough solid,
painfully collected data.
So in your post, you've restated longstanding hypotheses about
resource-consumer relationships and how they are altered by abiotic factors,
but you've left out the parts that are far more interesting - Which
caterpillars are eating the daisies (I really want to know - I've never
collected leps from daisies)? Are they really capable of reducing daisy
abundance? What secondary compounds mediate the putative caterpillar-daisy
interaction? Who are the parasitoids that are attacking the caterpillars and
perhaps being eaten by your birds? For me, the answers to these questions are
more valuable than re-framing some new trophic cascades hypothesis and they fit
with Pedro's argument that we need to understand and describe this
daisy-caterpillar-bird system before generating potentially irrelevant
hypotheses - the key here wasn't the obvious fact that we've utilized a bunch
of informal hypotheses in our muddled brains, it is that we decided to figure
out the basic natural history before trying a bird exclosure experiment.
Cheers, Lee

Lee Dyer
Biology Dept. 0314
UNR 1664 N Virginia St