Hi John

Unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure there's much utility in
comparing initial weight to final weight. It would make much more sense to
compare initial weight between the two treatments, and final weight between
the two treatments. Comparing initial weight may give us an idea whether
the treatment environments influence the condition of the fish at hatching.

Another useful measurement would be that of growth rate, which effectively
combines your before and after mass information into a single value. Since
fish don't exhibit linear growth, you would use a formula for specific
growth rate: G = 100 x [log(Wf) - log(Wi)] x (t^-1), where Wf = final
weight, Wi = initial weight and t = time between the two periods (look in
e.g. Hojesjo et al. 1999, Journal of Fish Biology, 55, 1009-1019, for more
info).

One potential problem would be your method of analysis, of course. Since
you have 40 fish per treatment in each stream those would probably be
considered pseudoreplicates. I think the easiest thing to do would be to
average data for each stream, and then your treatment groups would be
composed of n=8 replicates (one value per stream). There are no doubt other
alternatives, though, which a statistician might be able to tell you about.
It looks as though Bill's papers would provide good examples of how to work
with these data, anyhow.

Hope that helps

Jack