We are trying to calculate relative growth rate of perennial grass
species.  We have a large number of tagged individuals with which we
estimate biomass each year.  Naturally, every year we experience at least
a few mortality events, which are evenly distributed across our treatments
(warming, watering and warming x watering).

Could someone(s) please advise on how you would calculate RGR when you
have a mortality that does not appear driven by treatment?  Do you remove
the sample from the population the year it dies?  Do you remove completely
from the analysis?

A hypothetical example: Population RGR from 2009 - 2010 was -0.12.  In
2011 an individual died resulting in that individual's RGR from 2010 to
2011 of -20, and a population RGR from 2010 to 2011 of -3.  The individual
is removed from the population 2010 - 2011 RGR calcuation and now the
population RGR goes to 0.1.  It is likely that the population RGR from
2009-2010 was negative because the plant was dying.  Note: the plant was
not damaged, subjected to an insect event and in general appeared the same
as other plants in the experiment.

Thanks!
Tim Wertin
USGS - Canyonlands Research Station