Speaking of keys, some of my independent-studies students at Eastern
Michigan University started a key to the insect orders. I expanded on it,
added illustrations and photos (that hopefully will be helpful to the
novice) and put it online. It is available for the time being at
www.driving-michigan.com. Hopefully as I get feedback and bring in more
students to participate, we'll be able to expand it to insect families, and
I'll be able to port it over to permanent web address.

The idea was to create a key that anyone could use, including kids, but
that wasn't so simplified that half the orders were missing, etc. If you
try it and find any flaws, please let me know. It's a work in progress!

Leslie Mertz, Ph.D.
instructor, science writer/author
e: lme...@nasw.org

Rule #32: Enjoy the little things.